Palm leaf Antigua and Barbuda Crest
SITE CATEGORIES News & General Information Business & Politics Finance & Investment Travel & Tourism
Latest Newsletter
News Archive
Returning Nationals
Passport Procedures for Nationals
Passports & Visas
General Information
Maps of Antigua and Barbuda
Heritage Publications
Contact Details
Email Us


Which hotels are most children friendly?

The most children friendly hotels are: Royal Antiguan, Rex Halcyon Cove, Sunsail Colonna, St. James's Club. Many others accept children but there is an age stipulation on some properties. It would be advisable to check beforehand.

What currency is used in Antigua and Barbuda?

The local currency is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar but the US Dollar is accepted over the counter. Pound Sterling can be changed at the banks and there are cash machines located at various places on the island. Major credit cards are usually accepted.

When is the hurricane season?

The hurricane season is June to September. Antigua and Barbuda is warm all year round with a soothing south-easterly breeze

What places of interest can be visited while in Antigua and Barbuda?

Places of interest in Antigua are Shirley Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, Dow's Hill Interpretation Centre, Fig Tree Drive, Harmony Hill, Devil's Bridge, Betty's Hope and the St John's Anglican cathedral to name a few.

Places of interest in Barbuda are the Frigate Bird Sanctuary, Spanish Point, Martello Tower, and the Highland Cave System.

We are happy to send you an information pack upon request.

What are the dates of the Carnival?

Please view our carnival page for further information and relevant links.

What are the dates of the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta?

Please refer to our yatching calendar page for more information.

Is it possible to play golf on Antigua?

Yes; there are 2 golf courses in Antigua. They are located at Cedar Valley and Jolly Harbour. They are both 18 hole golf courses and are open to the general public.

What inoculations are required for visiting Antigua and Barbuda?

There are no inoculations required to visit Antigua and Barbuda, unless you are travelling from an endemic area.

What electrical voltage is used in Antigua and Barbuda?

220 / 110 volts AC: 60 cycles. Dual voltage appliances are recommended. American type 2 pin sockets are prevalent and therefore a suitable adapter may be required.

What is the duty free allowance when visiting Antigua and Barbuda?

The duty free allowance is as follows:

200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250g tobacco, 1 litre wine or spirits, 170ml (6ozs) perfume.

Weapons of war and unprescribed drugs are prohibited.

Visas and Entry Requirements

Which nationals are exempt from obtaining a visa in order to visit Antigua and Barbuda?

Nationals of Commonwealth countries (with the exception of Nigeria), EC countries and some other stipulated countries do not need a visa to travel to Antigua and Barbuda. Please check with the Antigua and Barbuda Tourist Office if in doubt prior to travel. It takes 3 working days to process a visa. Please see Passports and Visa Requirements on this website.

What minimum passport validity is required when visiting Antigua and Barbuda?

Passports should be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of arrival when visiting Antigua and Barbuda.

What are the entry requirements for Antigua and Barbuda?

Visitors to Antigua and Barbuda require a valid passport, a return or onward ticket, confirmation of accommodation throughout the stay and sufficient funds for the duration of the stay. On arrival, the immigration officer must be satisfied that your reason for visiting Antigua and Barbuda is legitimate.

How long can visitors stay without special permission from immigration?

Visitors can stay in Antigua and Barbuda for 3 - 6 months without special permission, provided they are in possession of a valid onward ticket and enough funds to maintain themselves without working.

What are the requirements for getting married in Antigua and Barbuda?

Regulations governing marriage by special licence in Antigua and Barbuda are as follows:

1) Proof of identity: A valid passport OR birth certificate and a photograph

2) Proof of status: Single: a declaration signed in Antigua and Barbuda

Divorced: the original decree absolute stamped with the seal of the court where it was issued.

Widow(er): marriage certificate and death certificate of husband or wife.

Name change: Deed Poll under which change has been done.

3) Application: This is to be obtained from, and completed and signed at, the Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs in St John's. Both parties must be present at the time of application.

4) Age Limit: All applicants should be 18 years or over. If under 18 parental consent, in writing, is required.

5) Residency: There is no set period of residency required before the ceremony can be performed. Arrangements can begin immediately after arrival in Antigua and Barbuda.

6) Fees: Special Licence: one hundred and fifty United States dollars ($150.000) or four hundred and five Eastern Caribbean dollars (EC$ 405.00) to be paid on application.

Registration Fee: forty United States dollars (US$ 40.00) or one hundred and eight Eastern Caribbean dollars (EC$ 108.00).

Marriage Officer: dependent on location and ceremony.

7) Ceremony: The wedding ceremony may be performed by the Registrar or the Deputy Registrar in the Registrar's office, or by a Civil Marriage Officer at an appointed place and time, between the hours of 6.00am and 8.00pm

Marriage Ceremonies

Legal formalities as with civil ceremonies apply to religious marriage ceremonies. Arrangements should be made with the appropriate Church official well in advance of the arrival in Antigua and Barbuda and all the documents necessary for performance of the ceremony be provided.

Where can I apply for a marriage or birth certificate?

Applications can be made at The Registrar's Office, High Street, St John's Antigua.

Where can I find information on obtaining residency and living in Antigua?

Details of the "Permanent Resident Scheme" are available on the Permanent Residence page of this website. Living conditions can be seen under General Information on this website.

Where can I apply for a work permit?

Persons seeking employment cannot apply for a work permit. Employers must advertise vacancies locally. If no suitable candidates are located locally, the employer has to apply for a work permit for a foreigner to the Commissioner of Labour, Ministry of Labour, St John's, Antigua.

Where can I find information regarding the establishment of offshore companies?

Please see the Offshore Financial Centres page on this website

Where can I find information on Internet gambling and starting an Internet gambling operation?

Please see the following websites:

What legal offices are there in Antigua and Barbuda?

Please see the Attorneys-at-Law within the General Info section of this website.

How does one purchase property on Antigua?

A solicitor must be retained to apply to the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands on your behalf for an Alien Land Holding Licence, which has to be approved by the cabinet. The following conditions must be fulfilled:

a) police clearance from the country where you previously lived

b) evidence of sufficient funds

A 10% duty is imposed on the cost of property purchased by non-nationals.

For a list of real estate agents, please see Real Estate Agents in Antigua and Barbuda within the General Info section of this website.

What Banks are in Antigua?

Please see On-Shore Banks in Antigua and Barbuda within the General Info section on this website.

Procedures for obtaining an Antigua and Barbuda passport

Only citizens of Antigua and Barbuda are eligible for an Antigua and Barbuda passport.

Applicants will need: Their original full birth certificate (if citizen by descent original birth certificate of Antiguan / Barbudan parent)

Their original marriage certificate, if applicable

Three passport photographs (one certified)

A completed application form.

The fee of 25.00 (postal orders payable to Antigua and Barbuda High Commission or cash only) and an extra 4.00 for registered post if not collected in person.

Please see Passport Requirements for Nationals of Antigua and Barbuda within the General Info section on this website.

Are there any duty free concessions for returning nationals?

Returning nationals are permitted duty free concessions on all household items and a car. For more information, please see the Returning Nationals Scheme page on this website.

High Commission for Antigua and Barbuda
2nd floor, 45 Crawford Place, London W1H 4LP

Tel: 020 7258 0070 Fax: 020 7258 7486

tourism in antigua | caribbean holidays | politics and government | finance and investment